Support & FAQs
Most Popular Questions
Please use Chrome right now until we have configured Safari and other browsers.
Absolutely! The web app will communicate with the iOS app seamlessly.
If they are using an iPad, tell your student to download the app from the App Store (search for Musicology Online). To use the Web App on Chrome, ask your student to go directly to app.musicology.ca On both platforms they press ‘I’m a Student’, and enter their code at the time of the lesson. The code never changes.
Here is a video walk-through of the teacher portal (https://portal.musicology.ca) This is where you will build your student rooms and manage your students files in their rooms. It’s so easy!
No. Our developers have developed a unique audio code that has the best audio of any platform out there. Yes, it’s THAT good!
- Make sure other video conferencing programs are not running in the background like Zoom, Teams, Skype, FaceTime. Please ‘Quit’ those programs. Other platform will hold onto microphone priority over Chrome.
- Restart your computer. This will clear old cached data.
- Every day start with a fresh Chrome browser – Quit Chrome from the top left-hand corner of the screen by selecting Chrome and then Quit Chrome from the drop-down menu.
- Be sure you Allow Chrome to use Microphone when you get the popup when logging on.
- Check System Preferences – Security & Privacy – Microphone – then allow Chrome access and restart computer (Apple users)
- On Musicology, Click the Gear icon and make sure your Audio Input source is selected for the one you want to use.
Go to portal.musicology.ca and click on your students room. Upload a file or drag it over. During a lesson you may drag a file over directly to the whiteboard.
Just plug them right in. Musicology will recognize anything your computer’s operating system recognizes. Make sure you have everything plugged in and turned on BEFORE you place a call on Musicology.
Musicology is currently configured for one-on-one lessons for that great full-duplex audio with layered sound so that you can sing, clap and play at the same time with no audio cuts.
Absolutely! Our fantastic audio has been optimized to pick up the frequencies specific to music.
No. There is no need to bandage audio connections with equipment—that’s what Musicology is built for! However, you are quite welcome to use one. Opera singers, for example, may want to consider using one for gain control etc., but mics are definitely not needed for standard lessons.
Musicology is available as a downloadable app from the App Store (Musicology Online) for iOS or as a web app using the Chrome web browser (https://app.musicology.ca)
iPad and iPhone users should use the downloadable app found on the App Store (Musicology Online). All other devices (including Android) should use a Chrome web browser. Please note that certain Android phones may not configure for the web app.
Yes! Musicology is available as a web app on the Chrome web browser (https://app.musicology.ca)
This is currently on the roadmap for the next big release.
The web app has screen share capabilities web app to web app. You may share your entire screen, a window or a Chrome tab. Audio can be shared using a Chrome tab and you can share your iPad via QuickTime for Apple users and LonelyScreen for Windows users!
In the homescreen, you will see your video and your student’s. On all the features, you will not see yourself and your student will not see themselves. The feedback we’ve heard back on this is: “Thank you!” My student is always looking at themselves and making faces but now they can’t see themselves!”
Musicology isn’t like any other app. This has never been done before. If we’re slightly more than another app you’ve seen, it’s because we’ve spared no expense to bring you only the best custom features, designed by a team of brilliant developers. Also remember that we don’t sell any advertising on the app or collect data and sell to third parties, as many others do to cut costs. That’s not what we’re about, at all, and we never will be. We are COPPA compliant and we don’t store any information about our users. We also use our call line provider, Twilio, because this is a closed-source platform and completely secure, with exceptional support so we don’t have blackouts. We have a giant team at Musicology who make sure it is the absolute best product on the market. We are here to serve YOU and your students!
Yes! Share your entire screen and follow these directions:
Apple users: Open QuickTime, select ‘new movie recording’, from the drop down menu beside the record button select your iPad. Make sure it’s plugged into your computer!
Windows users: Download LonelyScreen (https://www.lonelyscreen.com/) and broadcast your iPad via AirPlay.
Yes! The Web App has multi-camera capabilities that can also be viewed to iPad users. There is also a handy little camera switch button so that you can rotate between different views flawlessly. Compatible with OBS, ManyCam and ECamm.
Billing & Account Questions
To cancel your subscription or update your info, please visit portal.musicology.ca. Login and on the home screen you will see a blue button that says ‘cancel account’. Click on this and follow the instructions to change your subscription or cancel.
Once you have cancelled your subscription you will lose all of your data and need to subscribe again. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to reactivate your account.
Using the App
There are three easy steps to register:
Step #1 – Register
- Go to https://portal.musicology.ca/
- Create account or Sign In with Apple.
- Select teacher and fill in the blanks.
- Agree to terms.
- You will be directed to a payment page.
- You will receive a code that is used when you are using the iPad app. For the web app please sign in with the same authentication credentials you used to register.
Step #2 – Download App
- Download the Musicology app from the App Store or proceed to the web app at https://app.musicology.ca
Step #3 – Create a student room
- Sign into the teacher portal.
- Click the Rooms tab.
- Fill in the blanks to create your room.
- You will not be able to duplicate the same room name or code.
- Send this code to your student and have them follow the steps to download the app from the App Store.
It’s really easy! Here are the steps.
- Download Musicology from the App Store if using an iPad or iPhone. If using any other device head on over to https://app.musicology.ca using the Chrome web browser.
- Enter the code you received from your teacher.
- Didn’t receive a code? Contact your teacher for details.
- Musicology is completely free for all your students. Have them download Musicology Online from the App Store if they are using an iPad or iPhone. For any other device head on over to https://app.musicology.ca using the Chrome web browser. Student rooms are created by the teacher in the teacher portal (https://portal.musicology.ca/).
- Send students the room code you created.
- From there, student’s just open the app each week for their lesson and enter their code. The code never changes.
Absolutely not! iOS users may use their fingers and web app users can simply use their mouse, trackpad or a graphics tablet!
Apple requires us to use their gestures. Depending on what kind of iPad you are using, either press the home button twice to minimize the app and then push it off the screen OR grab the app from the bottom to minimize and push it off the screen. The student’s side has a sign out button.
To close a feature, like the Grand Staff for example, press the blue ‘go back’ button at the bottom right of each feature. This will take you back to the main video call screen. Feel free to experiment with all the icons until you get the hang of it. We promise you won’t break anything!
Go to www.portal.musicology.ca and click on the room you wish to delete. Click the red button that says “remove room”.
Yes! We do support bluetooth but please be aware that any non-wired components might add latency to the experience. To avoid this, we recommend good quality wired headphones.
Musicology operates on iOS 14 and later.
To learn about all of the features of the Musicology app, download the Icon Reference Guide here.
Currently you can upload one file at a time and name it appropriately. You can do this in the portal on your browser or by taking a photo or scan of the desired page and uploading it directly on the app. Reminder: you need to place a call to upload a file to the room but it won’t actually call your student!
The web app will support multiple pages placed on the screen. You can then save those pages as one image to the students room by pressing the floppy disk icon with the down arrow.
No. It’s free for students!
The eraser in the Apple Pencil Kit is not collaborative. This is something that Apple needs to update.
Data packets are sent and if there is congestion in the internet it will be delayed. We have programmed our app to resend data packs every 5 seconds but another fix is closing the quitting the app and restarting.
Disconnecting your bluetooth during a call will distort the audio. Simply reconnect your bluetooth, wire in headphones or restart the call to resolve this.
Do not use spaces when creating a room code for your students. You can use any combination of letters or numbers you like!
The Musicology Newsletter
Sign up today to our newsletter and receive early access to new features, deals & special offers, exclusive content and more!