Getting ready for back to school with Musicology
Summer break for music teachers often means some extra downtime and this creates an ideal opportunity for reflection, creativity, and testing out new ways of doing things. Our expert team of musicians, business specialists, teachers and creatives have put together a list of inspiring ideas that can help you improve your business levels this summer. Enjoy!
Increase your fees or explore alternative fee models
- When did you last increase your fees? If it’s been a while, summer and fall are the best times. Don’t drop a fee increase in the middle of winter when your students are not expecting it. Send an email now and let your current students know that a fee increase is coming on a certain date.
- Have you considered exploring other structures with your incoming students? What about a new tuition model using a flat monthly fee?
Review your cancellation policy
How is your cancellation policy serving you AND your students? Is it creating a positive, win-win environment? There are no rights or wrongs, but it is imperative that you have some form of policy in place. A few options to explore include:
- 24-hour notice (or the lesson is billable)
- monthly fee regardless of the number of lessons
- a flexible rebooking policy, offering credits rather than refunds to be used for additional lessons outside of regular lesson times
- alternatives to synchronous lessons like special interest projects or video reviews.
Refresh your website
- Are your details all up to date?
Got some new photos from the past year of teaching? Upload them!
- Is it easy for new students to book in with you? Try using a service like Calendly or Acuity for scheduling new lessons without the back and forth emails.
Consider your plan for in-person/online/hybrid teaching next school year. Online lessons are here to stay and with the right platform (Musicology?) you can feel confident knowing that you are providing the best possible experience for students.
- Keep your current students online and fill more spots
- Easy to manage illness and bad weather
- No problems if your student moves away
- Consider a hybrid approach: three weeks online with one week in person
Try Musicology for FREE for the summer and get familiar with the platform before back-to-school.
- 30-day free trial available AND Musicology is always free for your students
- Introduce the app to your summer students now as they’re more relaxed and open to new things (I promise it’s a super easy platform to navigate!)
Eliminate needless apps because the tools are already built into Musicology (with many more to come.)
Tech Checklist to send to students
- Do a speed test at www.speedtest.net
- Make sure no one else is online if your package is a basic package
- Reset your router (push and hold button on side for 10 seconds and release)
- Close unused tabs or background apps
- Refresh Chrome
- Quit and restart Chrome
- Turn your device off and on again
- Check for updates for your iOS, OS or Chrome
- If your router is more than four years old, call your provider for a new one
Template Letter to send to Parents
I am very excited to share with you the new platform we will be using this year for (your student’s) online piano lessons. It’s called Musicology and it’s an interactive video conferencing platform built specifically for music lessons (this means high quality audio/video that doesn’t cut out.) There are a ton of teaching tools included that I know (your student) will love and that really enhance the online learning experience.
Here is a link to their website for your information: www.musicology.ca
At our next scheduled lesson, please follow these directions. They are the same for each lesson.
If you are on an iPad or iPhone:
- Make sure your device is updated to at least iOS14
- Download Musicology Online from the App Store (there is no fee!)
- Press I’m a Student
- Enter code ___________
If you are on any other device (Windows, Apple, Android/laptop, phone, desktop, tablet):
- Using the Chrome web browser, visit https://app.musicology.ca
- Enter code ____________
Looking forward to seeing you next time!
App Must Haves
My Music Staff – My Music Staff is studio management software made easy! Our web-based application helps you manage your students, schedule, billing, and much, much more – all in one place. Whether you’re a private teacher or a multi-teacher studio, My Music Staff will keep you organized and save you hours of admin time every month!
Note Quest – Note Quest is a great app which helps people of all ages to learn and review or drill all the notes needed to become a competent piano or keyboard player. Through levelled sequences of fun and enjoyable piano practice ‘games’, the app helps the user to learn the notes of the keyboard quickly and successfully.
Obs – Open Broadcaster Software, or OBS, is a free and open source solution for offline video recording and live streaming that is Mac and Windows compliant. With an open canvas approach to video creation this tool can mix a variety of audio and video sources to a single output for creative video and broadcast applications.